Home

04 November 2015

Remembering Yolanda

I have really not talked about the time Typhoon Yolanda hit the country in 2013. My life was in a great storm too. The great typhoon had unprecedented effects both to the world and my personal life. I and my friends donated some funds we initially collected for the earthquake that struck Bohol earlier that year. But after finding out about the greater damage from the storm, our kind friend in Bohol who received the money rerouted it for the victims of Typhoon Yolanda. I created an infographic but just didn't have the time to share it before. Nothing is ever late I believe.

When the typhoon struck the country, I searched for a friend who was once my roommate in college. I was so scared that I reported her on the missing persons list after I have not heard from her in social media. She lived in Guiuan in Eastern Samar. It was a city unheard of before and still a bit unknown after the typhoon because the world was focused on Tacloban. Not known to most, the first landfall was right in her town. And it scared the sh*t out of me when I Googled where she lived and found out that she was so near to the coast. Gladly, her family survived and she lived to tell me on scarce phone battery power and no electricity in her home that there was a smaller island nearby that literally had nothing left. There is always something worse than what we think is the worst.

It was a year of tragedy. But we survived. And we do not wish to forget the good things we have done no matter how little it was. Our good deeds and the world's were contagious. Several months after the storm, the department in the company I have worked for at that time decided to donate a box full of goods for school children. It was just right to send it to Guiuan where my friend lives. Eventually, the box arrived on her doorstep. She is an Architect but she devoted her time to help rebuild the school near her home. Sometimes, it is obvious what we are meant to do. Lucky are those who know what they are here for.


No comments:

Post a Comment