Home

19 May 2015

Leling Diaries: Thorny forests, an animal farm and calabash fruit

Leling

A day after the wedding in Leling, we woke up long before the sun's first ray. We slept with fresh air around us but with mosquito nets just to keep the bugs out. At around 4 AM, my friend's aunt was already busy making biko AKA glutinuous rice cake with caramelized coconut milk (thank God for dialect).

The dirty kitchen outside the two-storey house was already filled with aroma. I went outside with my camera in hand. The chickens were disturbed by my presence but I was just glad to hear the rooster make the morning call. The sun rose too quickly. Later that day we decided to have a little trek through the thorny woodlands and into the graze land across the farm where the cows and the goats feed freely.

My friend's family was already busy in their farm. I went to take a look at the hens' nursery and saw a few eggs. I was curious how on earth would they know where the nursery was? That amazes me. There were also strange looking fowls which I haven't seen before. They looked like zebras lost in a stud of horses.

There was this huge, green, hard-shelled calabash fruit which locals are fond of calling the miracle fruit. It makes sense since it does wonders to your digestive system. After researching, we realized it is not good for pregnant women since it induces labor. After the scientific talk, we paid a visit to the old beach house.

By the beach were skinny sheep who I managed to stalk from afar. They didn't care about me at all. I resorted to my crochet and chit chat with my friend. We went back to the animal farm where I had my freshly boiled bananas and fresh buko juice. I had to take a picture because it was my first time. Bayo-bayo was in the menu for the afternoon and I took an obligatory photo with the huge club which they used to pound the banana.

They sent me to the bus terminal after mid-afternoon. I realized farm life looks pretty but it isn't easy at all. But when I saw the leaves dance gracefully in the soft sunlight and innocent animals run and walk about, I would understand why people would prefer this peaceful life.

Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling Leling

Leling, Hagonoy, Davao del Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment