Home

29 March 2015

Dark nights and chicken soup


My friend and I arrived in the afternoon in my husband's town. Everyone decided to have dinner at the beach later that day. It was exciting because whenever I hear about beaches, it tickles though I try to hold off a squeal.

By the time we reached the beach, the light was cool and it gave that bluish and eerie tint. The sunset at the gulf felt peaceful and calm. I didn't take too many dramatic photos of the sun just before it hid below the horizon. But the sky is actually loveliest just after the sun fades away or just before it shows up.

Twilight went by too quickly. In a small town there is nothing much on the beach at night -- not even a bonfire. Delicious food was served under dim lights. My in-laws managed to get two native chickens and cleaned them up really well. Now it is in a soup with "special" herbs. But this soup really is special because it gives me another reason to keep visiting. The other chicken made it into the bowl of Adobo. There were also fresh fishes off the grill which also had its own story.

Electricity at the beach went out later that night. Everyone had eaten too much so we were just sitting lazily on the wooden benches and listening to stories. My friend and I then decided to walk down the beach but settled on the concrete stairs not too far away from the cottage. The black sand that lay beneath us made everything else almost impossible to see.

There were no photos of that dark night. But the memory is as clear as untinted glass. In the darkness we could see illuminated boats of fishermen in the still waters and above us were the brightest stars. Even nature tells us that the tiniest lights do shine in the darkest night.


Location: Bato-bato, San Isidro, Davao Oriental

No comments:

Post a Comment