Home

31 January 2010

My Sinulog Perspective

It's been two weeks since the Sinulog festival here in Cebu. Forgive me for being late. My newly installed dental braces has required me to dedicate more time to my oral hygiene. It will take some time before I get used to it. Also, my internet bandwidth isn't infinite so patience is badly needed for my photos and videos to finish uploading.

Check my Sinulog web album for more photos.

The last time I saw the parade was when I was on my way to the street parties. I was much younger then and the booze and free concerts seem more attractive to me than other aspects of the festival. I have avoided the Sinulog festival for years because of the thought of having to walk home since major roads will be blocked and being able to move in a crowd only when the person next to you moves. However, this time I had to endure all that and my good friend has invited me to attend the mass at the basilica and watch the parade.

The festival may be misunderstood by most people. It's supposed to be centered on the feast of the child Jesus and the parade demonstrates the introduction of Catholicism into the Cebuano culture which dates back to the arrival of the Spanish to Philippines shores. Today, they take advantage of the festival to boost tourism which is not really a bad idea. But to the faithful, the important parts of the festival includes the procession which happens a day before the festival and the Sinulog mass which happens every third Sunday of the January.

I have tried my best to capture sights of the festival. I didn't have extra cash to spare for the photo contest so that means I wouldn't be able to stand freely on the streets to take photos. A combination of standing in the wrong spot and having just an average height has resulted to photos I never planned taking. Nevertheless, I had a different perspective of this year's Sinulog. Aside from the faithful devotees, we have thirsty dancers, tired children, oversized crowds, red umbrellas and a few inconsiderate photographers who didn't bother to step out of the middle of the parade after they're done shooting. I had to crop what I could. So here's the Sinulog festival through my eyes:

10 comments:

  1. The sun used to shine brightly on where we were standing during the Sinulog but the rain was just unstoppable so we went back home. Hehe......

    But sure we had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I totally forgot about the rain. The red umbrella in my album was annoying when it wasn't raining yet but it eventually rained. The last photo in the album shows persistence of the crowd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice shot kim, sayang mga batchoy..wala tah mag meet pag sinulog..eheheh, cgro next year hopefully..^^,

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jayr: Yeah next time na lang... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been to Sinulog once in my years in Cebu! and i don't regret not going each time, actually i regret going that one time. I'm satisfied with photos and stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Charlotte: I'm glad our photos and stories satisfy you. I'm looking forward to your new baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea.. i totally know what you mean. i did try to cover some live performances. and the pushing and shoving. and all that really almost makes it impossible.. did you take the first picture?? cause i like the way it came out. nice composition. i am going to get back to my photography again. within two weeks my freelance thing will be in the air. so then i can dedicate time after that. hopefully .. keeping my fingers crossed .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how interesting! i've never been there but the pictures made me wish i had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first year here (for college in UP CEBU), a good friend accompanied me to take in the mardigras. Several years after that, venturing out during Sinulog just seemed too tiring. This year, I worked. Haha

    ReplyDelete